Big Country Omelette
1 TBS milk
2 TBS butter or margarine
3 slices Morningstar Farms 'Bacon ', cooked
1/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1 TBS minced onion
1/2 cup frozen hash browns
1 TBS sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 TBS sour cream
salt and pepper
In a medium skillet, heat 1/2 TBS butter. Add onion, hash browns, mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until potatoes are done. Remove from heat and crumble in cooked bacon strips. Set aside.
Heat skillet or omelette pan over medium high heat. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together lightly. Add 1 1/2 TBS butter to hot skillet, rolling around so sides and bottom are coated. When butter is bubbly (not browned), add egg mixture. Shake pan and quickly stir eggs with a fork, until eggs are about half-cooked. Let pan rest over heat a moment to cook the bottom. Quickly add prepared filling and cheese over the eggs in one half of the pan. Lift and fold the remaining half over the filling, creating a semicircle. Continue cooking eggs until done. Loosen omelette with a spatula and turn onto plate. Top with generous dollop of sour cream. Makes 1 huge serving. (In Texas, we also top our omelette's with ketchup. Go figure.)
1 package firm tofu
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
1/3 cup Jack/Colby cheese, grated
1 tsp cajun seasoning
dash each salt and pepper
1 can refried beans or refried black beans
1 jar of your favorite salsa
6-8 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
grated cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, chopped lettuce, sprouts, diced tomato, sliced black olives
1. Mash the tofu with a fork into a buttered, hot non-stick skillet. Add the drained can of Rotel tomatoes, cheese, cajun seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir well over low heat until heated through and cheese is melted.
2. Heat the refried beans on the stovetop or in the microwave. Stir well.
3. Chop, dice, slice, or grate your optional ingredients for toppings.
4. Place a warmed tortilla on a plate and top with beans.
5. Spoon on the tofu mixture and top with optional ingredients as desired.
6. Drizzle your favorite salsa over the top.
NOTE: You can either serve immediately following Step 6, or add a sprinkle of grated cheese on top and place it under the oven broiler for just a moment before serving. If you do this, assemble your tofu rancheros on a cookie sheet instead of a plate. (Be careful not to burn!)